In rare cases some files on your SD card may become damaged and TomTom HOME may not start automatically. When HOME is started manually, an SD card error occurs.
If the SD card is shown in My computer (Windows) or on the desktop (Mac) but is not recognised by TomTom HOME, follow the steps below:
If you bought a new SD card and it is not recognised by HOME, click here.
Repair damaged files on the SD card
- Connect the SD card to the computer.
- Open the removable disk drive for the SD card on your computer:
- Windows: Click the Windows start icon > Computer then click the disk drive assigned to the SD card.
- Mac: In the sidebar of a Finder window, select the SD card.
- Delete the folder named loopdir from the SD card.
- Safely disconnect your SD card from the computer:
- Windows: Click the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the notification area and then choose the SD card device from the pop-up window. Click Stop to disconnect the SD card.
- Mac: In the sidebar of a Finder window, select the SD card, and then choose File > Eject .
- Insert the new memory card into your Carminat TomTom.
- Start the car and switch on your Carminat TomTom.
- Wait for the navigation screen to appear.
- Wait for a few seconds so that the card can be initialised by your Carminat TomTom.
- Remove the card from your Carminat TomTom and insert it into the card reader connected to your computer.
If the SD card still is not recognised in HOME, open the removable disk drive on your computer.
- If there is no folder named loopdir on the SD card, repeat steps 4 to 9.
Initialising a new SD card for use with TomTom HOME
If you have bought a new SD card, you must initialise this SD card before you can use it with TomTom HOME. Follow the steps below:
- In your car, insert your SD card into your Carminat TomTom.
- Turn on your car’s ignition and then switch on your Carminat TomTom.
Carminat TomTom initialises your new SD card. This takes at least 30 seconds. Do not turn off your car’s engine while the Carminat TomTom indicates that it is busy.
- Switch off the Carminat TomTom and then turn off your car’s ignition. Wait another 5 seconds then remove the SD card.
- Try again to connect your SD card to TomTom HOME on your computer.