Here are a few tips for setting up your RDS-TMC for optimal reception.
Setting up your RDS-TMC receiver in the car
Note : When you set up your navigation device in your car, don’t block the driver’s view of the road.
Select your RDS-TMC connector:
1. RDS-TMC receiver using USB connector
Connect the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver to your navigation device.
Connect the Car Charger to the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver and then plug the Car Charger into your car’s cigarette lighter socket.
Note : The RDS-TMC receiver does not work if the Car Charger is not connected.
- Place the transparent suction cup at the tip of the antenna firmly against the upper left of your car windscreen.
Then place the remaining suction cups along the edge of the windscreen, as shown, and keep the cable straight (see below).
2. RDS-TMC receiver using serial connector
- Connect the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver to your navigation device.
- Place the transparent suction cup at the tip of the antenna firmly against the upper left of your car windscreen (see below).
Then place the remaining suction cups along the edge of the windscreen, as shown, and keep the cable straight.
3. Active Dock Traffic RDS-TMC (GO x40, GO x50)
- Mount the Active Dock Traffic in your car and place your TomTom navigation device in the Active Dock Traffic.
Unravel the cord at the bottom of the Active Dock Traffic and make sure it points vertically downwards from the mount.
Important : Take care not to twist the upper section of the Active Dock Traffic too far to the left or right. The base allows a smooth turning motion, but also prevents the device from being twisted too far in either direction which could potentially damage the RDS-TMC aerial.
My RDS-TMC receiver is set up correctly but I don’t get traffic information.
Check the following for optimal RDS-TMC reception:
Is the correct country selected? To check if the correct country is selected do the following:
From the main menu tap
Note : If your RDS-TMC Traffic receiver isn't connected, you may be asked to set up a wireless data connection. Make sure that your receiver is connected properly.
- Tap Change Traffic Preferences .
- Tap Done .
- Select your country.
- From the main menu tap TomTom Traffic .
Place the tip of the antenna as far away from your navigation device as possible.
Use the full length of the antenna for the best possible reception.
Some athermic heat-reflecting windscreens and built-in windscreen heaters can block RDS- TMC reception.
Tip: You can test your RDS-TMC receiver by placing it outside your parked car to see if it can find a signal.
If radio reception is poor, for example when you are driving through a mountain valley, RDS-TMC reception will also be affected.
The following symbols are shown on the top of the Traffic bar:
Searching for a RDS-TMC station. RDS-TMC information is up-to-date. Waiting to download latest RDS-TMC information.