About TomTom Camper & Caravan products
TomTom Camper & Caravan products let you choose the type of vehicle you are driving. The route planned by your device takes into account the route restrictions for the size, weight and type of your vehicle. For example, a route calculated for a camper van may be different from the route calculated for a car.
Before you can choose your type vehicle, the camper and caravan map must be selected on your device.
Important: You must pay attention to all traffic signs, especially those relating to your vehicle’s dimensions and weight. We cannot guarantee you will never encounter them on your route and ignoring such restrictions can be dangerous.
You can select your vehicle in the quick menu on the Driving View. If there are only one or two buttons in your quick menu, a small icon in the Driving View shows the type of vehicle selected. If a route is already planned and you select a different vehicle, the route is recalculated for the new vehicle.
You can choose from the following vehicles:
|Select Car when you are driving a car.|
|Select Car with caravan when you are towing a caravan (or a trailer tent or horse trailer).|
|Car with caravan||
Tip: Select Car when you have unhitched the caravan from the car.
|Select Camper when you are driving a camper van.|
|Select Van when you are driving a private van, rental van or other large, non-commercial vehicle.|
If a route for a caravan, a camper or a van is not found, you are asked if you want to use a car route instead. If you use a car route, pay attention to restrictions you may find on the route.
You can set your vehicle and information about it in the Settings menu:
Set up your vehicle
Before you can plan a route using roads suitable for your vehicle type you must first enter the details for your vehicle or vehicle combination.
- Tap Settings in the Main Menu .
Vehicles and routes
, then tap
Vehicles and route types
Tap your vehicle type. You can enter details for a
Car with caravan
, and a
Note: The Car button opens the standard route planning options.
- On the Current vehicle profile screen, tap Change .
Enter the vehicle's weights, dimensions and speed limit. Press
each time to move to the next screen.
Note: The speed limit can be different in each country, and different for each type of vehicle. You must enter the speed limit for the country you are travelling in.
Important: The dimensions and weight for your caravan also include your car's dimensions and weight
- In Avoid motorways , choose whether you want to avoid motorways. Tap Next .
Restriction and dead-end warnings
, choose if you want to receive warnings about restrictions and dead-ends. Tap
Important: Set this option to Yes if you are driving a large camper or when towing a caravan. This option prevents you from driving into a difficult situation, such as a place where it is difficult to turn, or which has a height restriction. You receive a warning when you are driving with no route planned.
Note: This setting is only available if your device has either a traffic subscription or an RDS-TMC Receiver. Traffic information is not available in all countries or regions. For more information about TomTom traffic information services, go to tomtom.com/services .
Set whether you want your TomTom device to replan the current route if a faster route is found while you are driving. This is useful if traffic builds up or clears, further ahead on your route. Choose from the following settings:
- Always switch to that route - select this option to receive no messages when a faster route is found. The current route is automatically re-calculated to be the fastest one.
- Ask me if I want that route - select this option to be asked if you want to take the new route. When asked if you wish to take the alternative route, tap Yes to have the current route re-calculated as the fastest one. Tap No if you don't want to take alternative route. If you change your mind, tap the balloon at the top of the screen to take the alternative route.
- Never change my route - select this option to always continue on your planned route.
Tap Next .
- In Map information settings , set whether you want to be warned if your route passes through an area where your map contains only limited information. Tap Done .