Adventurer, Runner 3 and Spark 3 GPS watches use an onboard compass to present you with a graphical screen showing direction at a glance. This is particularly useful when you are not moving as the rotation of the watch indicates your direction.
To use the compass, start an activity that uses GPS. Note that, if you are using your watch for the first time, you need to calibrate your compass by following the on-screen instructions. After you have started your activity press RIGHT from the activity screen, then press UP. If you have selected a trail to follow, you only need to press UP.
The compass works best when the watch is kept level. If the compass does not show directions correctly, you need to calibrate it. It’s important to regularly calibrate the compass to maintain it’s accuracy.
Watch the video
To calibrate your compass follow these steps:
- From the Clock screen, press DOWN to go to Settings.
- Select SENSORS and press RIGHT.
- Select COMPASS and press RIGHT.
- Remove your watch from your wrist and rotate around each of the three axes as follows:
- One full rotation sideways,
- One full rotation forwards,
- One full rotation with the screen facing you,
- Repeat steps a – c until the compass is calibrated. When calibrated the watch gives an alert and shows a tick.
Note : The compass may not work correctly when the watch is close to a magnetic object such as steel, for example when it is mounted to handle bars on a bicycle.