We use standard formulae to set your initial heart rate zones.
First, we estimate your maximum heart rate using HRmax = 208 - (0.7 * age) (from the study by Tanaka, Monahan & Seals). Then we determine your initial zone boundaries as follows. (from the study by Fox & Haskell)
- Sprint: 90% - 100% max heart rate
- Speed: 80% - 90% max heart rate
- Endure: 70% - 80% max heart rate
- Fat burn: 60% - 70% max heart rate
- Easy: 40% - 60% max heart rate
There are several other formulae as well as exercise tests that help estimate your heart rate zones.
If you know your exact zones and want to adjust them, follow the steps below:
- Log into TomTom Sport.
- Select the profile icon then select SETTINGS.
- Select HEART RATE ZONES.
- You can adjust the zones by dragging them up or down.
The next time you connect your watch to the TomTom Sport, the new zone boundaries are downloaded to your watch.